Thursday, April 2, 2009

Binary Rain



I have this fascination with painting designs in a mosaic or tiled sort of pattern... This piece is one of them.

Let me insert here that I have post it notes everywhere with half sketched ideas, usually no more than a couple of cross hatched lines and the names of colors quickly chicken-scratched down. I then find them the next morning scattered across the bed or floor with notes like "thre angle lines sherbet blue" or "7 rows 3rd shape black yellow", and they kinda make sense to the artist part of my brain.

This particular painting started out as one of those small crumpled squares. I'm proud to say it came out like I'd imagined it.

Here's a close up:


I like it when pieces come together like this. I like it when I just sit down and start painting something and then it looks how I wanted it to. I'm still figuring out how to make this particular style work on a few other things, but I really enjoy it.

I've realized I need to just paint, to stop worrying about making these perfect little paintings, to just make a mess, make it happen and see what comes of it. It will better my technique, it will help me be less afraid of screwing up, it will be a better chance to see what I need to work on instead of sitting here not doing anything because I'm too worried I can do it at all.

One step at a time, Heather. Enjoy this painting because it did work out.

1 Comment:

Sondra said...

Hi There found your blog through Skip Potts blog. I doodle with digital art although I draw many of my pieces and then paint them digitally. Your ideas of using tape etc is a style used by Richard Carter. He makes some incredible stuff by using tape
Check out some of his work here
http://www.richardcarterart.com/
I love his style. Thru a family member I met him and had the chance to view much of his work. Its very unique.
I like your abstract style, also very unique.

blogger templates | Make Money Online