Patrick actually made the teapot - out of a large plastic barrel and casters, with cut foam for the handle and wood for the spout. He painted the base ivory type color on it. Then he let me go to town on the color and designs.
I used purple, red, blue - all royal, rich colors. On the sides and spout and handle, I used random designs, swirls, checkers, stripes, etc. On top of the lid he had found a circular piece with a fleur type design on it, then put a knob in the center for the handle. I kept with the red and purple, then added hot pink and neon green to the fleur parts and on each side of the knob. A very eclectic piece of art that fit perfectly at the Mad Hatter and March Hare's tea party!
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Ahh... "Off With Their Heads!"
The Red Queen's Royal Garden. Well, the basis of it anyway.
Green fleece, a bit streaked with lighter colors - very pretty, very stretchable, looked good on stage under lights. And on sale that week at Hancock Fabrics!
Pick up several bunches of roses from wherever fake flowers are sold, pull the roses off the stems and quick stitch them to the fabric at random intervals. I actually spread out the measured and cut fabric, threw a handful of rose heads up in the air and let them fall, then stitched them where they landed. This was a pretty fun thing to work on, and I kinda wanted to keep the finished pieces to hang on my walls. It's better they ended up staying at the theatre to be used in the traveling set pieces.
Friday, August 17, 2007
Working on "Alice In Wonderland" at the Globe. I'm playing the Cook, so I get to be silly and dance with a pepper shaker. It's all good. (grin)
Anyway, am also helping with the painting and creating of things. One is the painting of the Walrus and the Carpenter that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum talk about with Alice.
This is a shot of it stretched out on my bedroom floor while I worked on it over the summer. I used a painters canvas - it was slightly more flexible than regular canvas, it was already the dimensions I mostly needed, and same cost. Then I found sketches of the Walrus and Carpenter in various books and on the web, drew it in free hand, making sure to leave room down the center to cut it and faded out on the edges to help with the surreal effect.
After sketching I started painting, using basic acrylics, filling in the clothes, rocks, and skin tones. The oysters were easier - I painted grey and black and white swirls in circles all along the bottom. I used a sharpie to outline the clothes and eyes and such, then to fill in the lines on the oysters and their little shined shoes on their little feet! (If you know the poem, you know what I'm talking about!)
I spent half the time in rehearsals and the other half doing other projects, and the other half traveling to El Paso to see Rob, or he'd come here and we'd hang out more than I would work on anything useful. It happens. Especially with a wonderful and handsome man like him!
Here's the shot of it finished, and still in one piece. (It had to be cut in half for the turning triangles for the set.)